Sunday, November 02, 2008

In Memory of Bernice Gerard



Last night I heard the news that our beloved Bernice had passed away into the arms of Jesus. Bernice was a Pastor/Teacher/Evangelist/Radio Moderator/Television Host/Crusader for the Unborn/Friend of Israel/and a whole host of other titles. She had served on Vancouver city council as well as pastoring a large Pentecostal church at the same time.

I got to know Bernice when I was about 8 years old and even at that age she had a profound influence on my life. I used to line up my stuffed animals on my bed and 'preach' to them using Bernice's method of pacing back and forth and holding up a Bible at the same time. I believe my Scripture came from Romans. I don't know, I'd have to check my notes.

After I graduated from Bible College I went to live in Vancouver and attended the church that Bernice and her co-worker Velma pastored for many many years. I joined the staff a year later and worked alongside them until they resigned the church to focus on their TV and Radio ministries along with their work with children around the world.

Bernice was someone to be reckoned with. She didn't back away from anybody. She was tough, lacking somewhat in social skills but always fighting for the underdog. She had come from a poor foster family and grown up 'in the system' and never looked back. Once she got 'converted in the country' it became her life force to tell the world of the good news of Jesus Christ.

There are many stories to be told about her, many, many lives influenced by her, she was an amazing woman. She was a pioneer in leading women to join the ministry, believing that it is God who ordains those to preach, not man.

Her co-worker Velma Chapman passed away last year at 92 and they had worked together as partners in ministry for over 60 years. Amazing.

Well done Bernice, well done. You're at home now. Safe in the arms of Jesus.

1 comment:

Andrew King said...

Amen!!!
Andrew King
www.kingtalk.wordpress.com