Saturday, January 30, 2010


and so the bickering continues..........as I've said all along nobody wins in a strike. The strike continues to divide people after we've gone back to work.

For 10 weeks we stood out in the rain and wind and cold and endured big promises from the Union, 'hang in there' 'we're all in this together' 'the employer is the enemy' and so on.

In the end the Union caved to the company's demands because they could no longer fight them. So what. The contract was a fair one and I was happy to vote for it. I was one of 42% that voted yes but 52% voted no so we were at a standstill.

They brought in Canada's best chief negotiator in labour, I was impressed. Way to go Vince. Vince looked at the contract and said, 'it's a good one, not much more I can do here' and to appease the people who wanted more money for driving he added a nickel an hour to our wages. Yup, a nickel.

And THEN he said, we're going to charge the company to give the Union a bonus of $400,000 to be distributed amongst the members.

But he didn't specify which members. The drivers understood it was the for them because we didn't get the wages being asked for. Then the office workers who make more money than the drivers wanted a piece of the pie. And I don't blame them. As a driver I made an extra $150/week driving an essential service shift.

So now, instead of deciding what to do with the money, we're voting on Super Bowl Sunday 'do we give the money to everyone who picketed or not'. What kind of lame vote is THAT? Of course we do! But, gee, wouldn't it be nice if those of us who were out there the whole 10 weeks got a little bit more than the ones who showed up the first week, said 'nope, not for me, I'm getting another job' and we never saw them again?

There's my rant for today. Grow up. Put your big girl panties on and grow up.

1 comment:

barb said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! LOL