Wednesday, September 08, 2010



My buddy WD had a friend call and invite me to his 63rd birthday party. WD can't talk so other people have to speak for him. He can't walk so someone has to push him around in his wheelchair. He can't see so others have to describe stuff for him and guide him in the right direction. WD has no teeth so his food has to be pureed for him. He shakes a lot because he has cerebral palsy. He grunts a lot because it's his only method of communication. WD is my friend. He holds my hand and kisses my fingers and I tell him I love him. He smiles when he hears my voice. WD fills my heart with joy when I see him.

When WD goes to church he leans on the shoulder next to him and relaxes as hears the Word of God preached and the songs of Jesus sang to him. He responds to the Holy Spirit and reaches for the hand of the one sitting close by.

WD, 63 years ago they gave you up to an institution that didn't care for you very well. 20 years ago a new group home opened and it began a whole new life for you. You began to have adventures. People grew to love you and all of your shenanigans. You grew to love people around you who cared for you.

Happy 63rd Birthday WD! You are the best. I love you.

No comments: