Friday, October 22, 2010



Yesterday my mom and went to visit my step-father Paul in the care facility where he lives. He lives on the island and we don't so it's a very long day. It takes about 4 hours to get there and after we're there for about 10 minutes he looks at us and says 'well I won't keep you girls'.


Paul had a good day and was bright and alert. He knew my mom's name and kissed her when she walked in the door. His face lights up when she comes within viewing distance and it's sweet to see.





They've been married for 12 years and enjoyed many years together before the dementia hit.





Paul is a retired Pastor/Evangelist/Missionary and speaks Spanish as his first language. He told me years ago when he goes to bed at night he still recites Spanish scripture as he tries to go to sleep.





Yesterday I asked him what he was doing tomorrow and he said he thought he might have to preach. I asked him what Scripture? and then the Spanish flows out...without hesitation. It's beautiful to hear speak so easily in the language he loves.

We never know what lies ahead for those we love or when the Lord will take us home but I know when Paul gets to heaven he's sure to hear the words "well done my good and faithful servant."

1 comment:

Miss Vicki said...

Big hugs to you :) Having Dementia effect a member of your family is just plain unfair and terrible...thinking of you and your family :)