Sunday, December 31, 2006

You Know You're In a Small Town When....

On the way up to our cottage in the Caribou lies a small quaint little village called Lone Butte. Not a roaring metropolis by any stretch of the imagination. There's a gas station, a little general store, an arts and crafts place (connected to a tire place) and a pub. The pub is wonderful, it's like a big lodge with snowshoes and canoes hooked up to the ceiling and big screen TV's and great chicken burgers.

We often stop in at the pub on the way home for a good meal to hit the road. This last visit we met our friend Esther there for lunch. At the end of our meal I got up to use the washroom and noticed 2 other women were heading the same direction. No problem I thought, there are 3 stalls. I've used this facility before. I'm "in the know".

I opened the door to the washroom and noticed that all 3 stall doors weren't shut. Hmm, I thought, I'm sure those 2 women were headed this way, they couldn't have gone anywhere else. I pushed one door to open it (the doors swing in) and it was promptly slammed in my face with an "I'm sorry". There was someone inside but she hadn't closed the door! I went to the next stall (the big one) and this lady was too far away from the door and just sat on the toilet and looked at me and said "I'm sorry"! By this time I was afraid to even try the 3rd one!

So I washed my hands as if that's all I came in there to do.

Life's just so different in the city.

1 comment:

onedayatatime said...

LOL!!!!!!! I hear ya! Why wouldn't you want to LOCK the door, when you are doing one of the most private things in the world??? Silly backwoods folks...LOL!