Saturday, April 19, 2008

Brother John



April 22 would have been John's 55th birthday. I saw a card yesterday that made me think of him. It was a little boy standing up in the driver's seat of an old convertible and inside the card it said 'born to cruise'. Very fitting.


John is cruising with Jesus now. I still miss him very much and when it's his birthday I think back on times we spent together.


These photos are from 1999 when we went to Hawaii. We stayed at my friend's house for 2 weeks and what a great time John had. Nobody loved the ocean and the beach more than John. He was born to live in a warm tropical climate.


One morning when I was living close by John he called me up bright and early and said, "wanna go for breakfast?" I said, "sure". John said, "come pick me up and we'll go to McD's". Sure. Sounded good to me.

I picked him up and he was kinda sheepish looking. He asked, "Can we go by way of Lynden?" Lynden is in Washington State. In the U.S. of A. The other side of the border. Not far but still...so we went to Lynden. Turns out he bought a VW (what else) in Lynden and needed a ride down there so he could pick it up and bring it across the border. That was my brother.

But he did buy me breakfast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds great!! You must really miss him. Everytime I see a picture of him I think of the pastor that married Gordon and me. They are very similar. v

Anonymous said...

He sounds great!! You must really miss him. Everytime I see a picture of him I think of the pastor that married Gordon and me. They are very similar. v

Anonymous said...

I should really say the same thing one more time for good measure... Oh look I already said it twice. v

barb said...

I sure miss seeing your brother and his blonde hair, flying around town :) Whenever I saw him, he always had a BIG smile on his face. I remember a time when he called you to take him to the hospital, and I was with you, so I came too. John was having some major medical issue, but despite that, he was smiling, laughing, and teasing the nurses, and if I recall correctly, stealing sandwiches from the mini fridge in emerg! LOL!