Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Takin' Care of 'Bidness'

A tale from the DARTside

One day I was driving a client home from his day program. I'll call him R. I had often driven him home and everyday was the same. Get on the bus and say "who is it" and I'd tell him my name so he knew who his driver was. I drove him home often and that's about all he would ever say.

One day I had driven him home only to be back at his doorstep the next day to pick him up. I got to the door and the person who answered said, "R will be out in a minute". So I waited. And waited. And waited. And just about the time I was about to give up on him and knock again R came outside.

I said "good morning" to him and he said, "Oh Hi J, it's you again" and got on the bus. After he was seated on the bus he said, "You know J, I had to spend quite abit of time in the washroom this morning so I'm sorry if you had to wait for me."

I said, "no problem R, sometimes in the morning we have to 'take care of business' and left it at that. R. never said a word. 10 minutes went by and we were just about to his drop-off location and all of a sudden he blurted out:

"That's what I was doing alright, 'taking care of bidness'.

You gotta love 'em. So real.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute.

barb said...

That's so sweet!