Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Good Times



Years ago in Hawaii I was needing a place to live while I was going to College. I got word from a friend of a friend that a family in Kahala was looking for 'household help'. I called the phone number I was given and spoke to a nice lady who told me that yes, indeed they wanted someone to come and live in and would I like to come and meet them.

The next day I went to meet Barbara and son Jeff and see the house and talk about the job. Basically I would be there to help with household stuff, chauffeur Jeff around (who was 12 at the time) and in exchange they would give me room and board and a little cash on the side. Pretty cushy job. Beautiful home in Kahala, which at that time was one of the most prestigious neighborhoods on Oahu.

Barbara was a Dr. and told me that her husband Dr. R would want to meet me first before she could say I got the job. He had a few questions for me so would I like to stay for supper and meet Dr. R? Of course I would.

I was all nervous and everything wondering what's he going to ask me? What kind of cleaning products do I use? Do I replace the toilet paper rolling over or under? What? Will I clean the pool daily or twice weekly? What about the tennis courts? How many times a week will I sweep the leaves off that? Will I wash the Mercedes weekly? Just his or hers or both?

Dr. R walked in the door and I was introduced as the 'one who was applying for the job'. And do you know what he asked me?

"Do you smoke?" No.

"Do you drink?" No.

"Do you listen to rock music?" No.

"You're hired".


Then he went on to tell me that my influence on his 12 year old son was the most important thing about the job. That years from now nobody would remember what I cooked for dinner or how well I cleaned the house or any of those things but what they would remember is the influence I'd have on a young teenage boy.

I never forgot that interview. I lived with the family for a year and then they relocated to Boston because Dr. R was dying of cancer and he wanted his wife to be settled close to her sister for support. He passed away the following year.


Jeff and I got along famously and I have great memories of hanging out with him. We looked like brother and sister and sometimes people would ask if we were. Jeff was always quick to point out that no we weren't, thank you very much, she's my governess and then he'd laugh his head off.


Jeff and I reconnected on FB recently. I laughed myself silly reading his emails, he sounds exactly the same. I went through my Hawaii albums and found pics of Jeff and family and sent them to him, he's ecstatic with them. So much fun looking at them and remembering good times.

No comments: