Monday, December 14, 2009

VW John


It's been five years ago that my brother John passed away having been ill for many years. As much as my dad's death was a shock because there wasn't any illness leading up to his sudden passing, John's death still took us all by surprise. We always knew he wouldn't live to be old because of his health concerns but still.......it knocked us all for a loop.


John was a competitive guy who loved to win and be the champion in any kind of contest. When we were young and attending the Baptist church there wasn't anyone who could touch his Bible sword drill skills. He carried that competitive nature into all areas of his life. The only thing he couldn't beat was his diabetes but he sure gave it his best.



John was a 'one of a kind' kind of guy. He was passionate about many things. God first, family second and VW's a close third.


John's kids were his life and he was proud of the way they grew into young adults. His last night was spent with his kids opening presents and sharing a meal together. Like my dad John never had trouble telling his kids how much he loved them.


Everyone knew John as the crazy VW guy who always drove a bug, usually a convertible and always had a project car on the side. He found old VW's usually discarded by someone who had given up on car restoration and John would finish the job and sell it for additional income to keep himself afloat.


My fondest memories of John were going to Hawaii with him and showing him the island that he had heard me talk so much about. It was fun introducing him to my Hawaiian friends and watching him race around Oahu looking for VW's and VW related people and shows.






There are lots of things I miss about John. I miss his loud booming voice and his knack for calling at 10 pm. Oddly enough when I got the phone call that he had passed away, it was at 10 pm. I miss him dropping by for dinner and then sharing what was on his heart.





Missing you still VW John.

1 comment:

Barb Stingl said...

I miss your brother too! I LOVED seeing him in the summer, in town, car top down, hair blowing in the wind, HUGE smile on his face.....A great memory is one time we took him to the ER (the old one), and he was helping himself to sandwiches from the fridge, and giving us sandwiches too...LOL!! Did Chris get to meet him?