Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bad Betty


This is my mom Betty last year when she turned 80. For an old girl she's doing pretty good. She's fit and healthy and apart from losing her eyesight hardly has a reason to see a Dr.
For some unknown reason Chris has always called her Bad Betty. No idea why, I don't even think Chris knows but the name has stuck. Over the years as kids we gave her names..."Big Bucks Betty"...she didn't like that.

A Bad Betty story...my mom goes for power walks every day except when the weather is really bad. She can walk around the lake in 20 minutes that takes an average person 30 minutes. She's fast..I have never been able to keep up with her.

One day as she was zipping by the lake a guy suddenly stepped out of the bushes and opened up his trench coat and with very little imagination "flashed" her. My mom stopped and looked at him in the eye and said "if that's all you've got I wouldn't be showing it off" and continued around the lake. I told you, she's quick.

Another time she was at the mall and she parks a long ways away, you know, just in case another car parks beside her, and when she was loping towards the mall a guy came up to her and asked her if she had any spare change.

Bad Betty says, "No, but I have a peppermint. If you're going to beg from people you should have fresher breath" and gave him a pepper mint. He mumbled something and walked away.
Bad Betty, she's a legend. A crime fighter in the 'hood.

1 comment:

onedayatatime said...

I love your mom! She's awesome, and has THE cutest laugh ever! She is such a joy to be around. She also has the best stories about you :)