Saturday, February 03, 2007

Kit and People in Uniform

I thought I'd tell a little Kit story.........I'm thinkin' my blog's needing a little more material so I'm going to tell a few stories about people. *Some names have been changed to protect the innocent*NOT!!!

Kit loved anyone who wore a uniform. It fascinated him. He held people up in high esteem if they wore a safety vest. He waved at everyone we’d pass on the road and saluted those in uniform. He often found ways of making sure somebody in uniform would come out to the group home where he lived.

One day Kit and I were out in the community and had stopped in one of our favorite coffee places to refresh and Kit spotted a man wearing a vest with his name tag on it. Kit loved to see tags and would point to them gesturing to the person that he wanted to know what it said.

That day it was something like “MAC” and Kit laughed and shook the guy’s hand. “Mac” was intrigued by Kit and asked me where he was from. “Mars” I said, to which Kit laughed uproariously. We would often make up stories to tell people just for fun. Kit had a wonderful sense of humour and trying to fool people was one of his favorite past times. Mac laughed again and shook Kit’s hand pumping it up and down. Then he turned to me and said,

“What a great guy, he makes a great first impression. When you meet him it’s like a whole bad day just gets washed away.” I’ll never forget that.

Kit loved to bring people in uniform to the group home. One time he cut the outside cable wire which provided the feed to the fax machine. Not too serious until the Manager wasn’t able to fax something. It was then discovered the cable had been cut.

Another time he cut the phone line. This time it was a little more serious because the Group Home was out in the country and really quite isolated. These days all staff have cell phones so we did have an alternative in case of emergency but he still got a talking to for that one.

The most memorable uniform story was the night we had to call the Paramedics to remove a violent client from the home. Two Paramedics and an ambulance arrived so Kit showed them into the house. Because of the state of emergency the Police were also called. They parked their cars out front and as staff we weren’t aware of that.

After the client was removed and the crisis was over we thought everyone had left. However, the policemen were still out front sitting in their squad cars making their reports. Just as we thought it was quiet in the home the front door opened and in walked one of the big burly policemen holding hands with Kit. In his other hand he held a long stemmed flower. Kit had followed the policemen to their cars and presented them with flowers as his way of thanking them for helping us deal with the crisis.

2 comments:

onedayatatime said...

I sure miss Kit a lot :( He always had a hug for me, and a million dollar smile...and that LAUGH! He's the first person I want to see when I get to Heaven, after my Maker of course :) I bet Kit will give me a HUGE hug, take my hand, and give me the grand tour, all the while, waving at everyone, throwing his head back, and laughing that wonderful laugh. I sure miss him.

Valerie Dykstra said...

what a sweet story