Monday, January 14, 2008

Harrison Hot Springs


One of my favorite places to go is Harrison Hot Springs. It has always been a place of great memories of camping as a kid, skipping rocks in the lake, walking around the lagoon, building sand castles, eating Schnitzel, swimming in the hot pool, and just a really nice little town of poking around interesting shops and eating in quaint restaurants.

In the summer there is the World Championship Sand Castle Competition which is a delight to see no matter how big of a kid you are. People come from all over the world to take part and it's an endless source of entertainment for visitors of all ages.

The hot pools are fed from the sulphuric water running from the mountain. It's supposed to have healing properties and lots of people swim in it regularly to feel better and to bring relief to sore joints and aching muscles.

Chris hasn't grown up with the same memories of HHS as I have but we've often gone there just for a fun afternoon. We've taken my mom several times, it's one of her favorite places as well. This weekend we went just the two of us and stayed at the hotel (can you say Fancy) and enjoyed the luxury of walking in our robes to the pools.

There are several pools to choose from depending on the temperature you're wanting as well as a large indoor hot tub and cooler pool.

Saturday night we went for dinner and enjoyed a beautiful meal of Mahi Mahi, a white Hawaiian fish I really enjoy. It was funny listening on the woman's conversation at a table close by us when she ordered the "Maui Maui" fish, too funny.

Sunday we walked around the Lagoon and watched a guy walking his Whippet. Being rather fond of the crazy dogs I wanted to catch up with him and tell him some Whippet stories but we were too far behind and his crazy Whippet was keeping him occupied anyways.

It was a great weekend and the perfect start to a new week. I'm now full-time at my job which basically means I drive the same bus the same time every day. This is about the first time in 10 years I've had the same shift and can say to someone "hey, sure next Thursday? I'm off at 5;30" instead of "well, I'll try and get a shift that ends before 6"......or "I'm not sure if I'm working Thursday yet".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

never been to Harrison Hot Springs, but it sounds divine - not as divine as Hawaii, but divine. glad you sign perm shifts now. My husband used to do that shift stuff and boy was it hard to plan anything. Congratulations and I really mean it. v

Barb Stingl said...

That's SO cool that you have regular shifts now!!!!!! Now we know when we can party ;)