Saturday, March 07, 2009

Friends



Last night we went out to our local community theatre and saw a delightful play called "Marion Bridge". The story of 3 sisters who return home to see their mother before she passes away. It was interesting on many levels to see the different roles the sisters took in their family and how we relate to those roles.

The oldest daughter was very artsy, lived in the 'big city' but was very lonely and drank to escape loneliness and lack of success. The story unfolded of how she'd had gotten pregnant as a teenager and was forced to give the baby up for adoption. She reconnects with the daughter and although you don't see a visible reconnection the emotions are there in the dialogue.

The middle daughter is the 'good one' who grows up to be a nun because she wants to serve God with her whole self but in the meantime loses sight of God and wonders just to whom she is loyal when she tries so hard to be so very good.

The youngest daughter is the 'funny one' and yet gets overlooked and dismissed because she's crazy. On a memorable trip to Marion Bridge as children the 2 older sisters have vivid memories of the day yet don't remember that the youngest had to stay home because she had chicken pox.

It was a good story and well done. There was quite a crowd of us that went from church and afterwards we enjoyed meeting at a friend's house for dessert. Good times.

It's great to have friends in the midst of all of life's changes. As I get older I find myself appreciating my friends more. Maybe because neither Chris nor I have a sister we find ourselves connecting with other women around us and enlarging our group of friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have 2 sisters, I'm the youngest, and I'm the crazy one. (And I do mean crazy in an un-good kind of way. :-)) The play sounds great. I'd love to see it with my sisters. We'd watch it and look at each other like, "that's you".

Sounds great to have a group of friends to do those kinds of things with. I don't.