Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Random Act of Kindness



Last winter when I was working nights all the time I told our night dispatch N. (who's a sweetheart) that while she was away in Mexico suntanning a memo had come out saying that from now on during the cold weather drivers would leave their car keys on her desk and when they called in at the end of the shift to say they were clear and coming in, she could then pick up their keys, go out to the bus yard, scrape the ice off and warm up their car for them. I thought it was a wonderful suggestion. Don't you think? She just laughed and told me how funny I was. After she told me she hadn't gotten the memo of course. I told her to keep looking.

Last week it was really really cold and I was working a night shift. After driving through a blizzard and hazardous road conditions I was more than ready to come in after clearing my last client. I called in and said I was on my way in. A few minutes later N. called and said it sounded like we were all heading in and she was just going to go outside and warm up her car. Niiiiiiice. So I reminded her of the memo. After a big guffaw she asked me where I had parked my car. I told her. "Out in the bus yard beside a big yellow bus." Another guffaw and then a hearty 'seeya when you get here'. Big laughs.

I pulled into the yard and waved at N. as she was scraping the ice off her car and warming it up, kept going to the far end of the lot where I had left my car, jumped into my car and started warming it up. Lots of snow, lots of ice, very cold car. About 10 minutes later after I had parked the bus and my car was all warm and toasty I drove up to the office to drop off my keys. N. was standing there in amazement. She asked me where I had parked my car and I told her, 'at the end of the lot'.

"OH NO" she said, I've cleaned the wrong car! What she didn't realize that one of the other night drivers has EXACTLY the same car as me and so sweet N. being kind went and scraped off his car for him! I bet he was surprised.

Moral of the story, when you're being kind to someone, make sure you've got the right person. You'd hate to be kind to the wrong person. LOL.

No comments: