Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's come to my attention that I'm tall. You ask, 'you didn't know that'. No, apparently I don't because at least once a week someone, usually a complete stranger will say to me, 'boy you're tall.' I try to act surprised and say things like "thank you for telling me, I didn't know" or "I'll have to look into that, I wasn't tall this morning when I left the house".

As a teenager and young adult I absolutely hated it. I stood out in a crowd, on the other hand I could pick people out of a crowd that I was looking for so it came in really handy at airports looking for my mother who always seemed to travelling.

As a tall woman it seems that I'm often mistaken for a man because well, woman aren't supposed to be tall. According to some rules out there. I'm not sure who made those rules but they're out there somewhere.

I also have short hair so that adds up to the problem of being mistaken for a man because obviously a tall person with short hair is a man.

Yesterday I had to go to the Hospital to pick up a client. On the way to the Dept I thought I'd take a quick trip to the washroom. In my work you take bathroom breaks when you get them.

So I opened the door to the washroom and there are 2 stalls with doors inside. One looked shut and the other one was open. There was someone standing by the sink but because I was in a hurry I just blurred past them, went into the stall, locked it and sat down.

Somebody knocked on the stall door. Thinking I had "stolen" the stall from her I said, "Oh I'm sorry, I'll be right out."

Knock, knock, knock. Again I said, "I'm just about done, I'll be right out."

Thinking I would meet hostility on the other side I was a little hesitant to open the door. I finally did. There was a little lady standing there who by this time had knocked on my door at least 6-7 times.

Once again I apologized, said I had been in a hurry and proceeded to wash my hands.

The lady looked at me and said "This is a Ladies washroom".

I said "Thank you for the information". And walked out the door.

Next time I'll show her my boobs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so tell me, do you have a deep voice too? facial hair? combat boots? How tall are you? My Dutch relatives are tall too.

Barb Stingl said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!