Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tales from the DART side

I think I'll start blogging about my experiences about driving the DART. I DART around town pickin' up people with medical appts, social appts, mental health appts, and a whole lotta shopping appts. We offer door to door service. It's a great way of meeting new people, seeing people you've connected with before, and doing a whole lot of driving.

Last week it had snowed for about 2 days and it had snowed the week before for 2 days so some of my regulars who like to go shopping at the Mall had been house bound for more than a week.

I went to pick up one of my faves, Mrs. A. She's a Scottish lady with a walker who lives with her son and d-i-l. Nice lady. When I got to the door it was like the Ikea commercial when the woman runs out to the car..."start the car". Except it was "Get me to the bus, I gotta get out of here". She'd been housebound for at least a week.

Poor lady, her son is waiting for knee surgery so he's home, her d-i-l just had some surgery so she's home. She couldn't wait to just GET ON THE BUS.

She told me that every morning she goes on the computer and talks by video cam with her sister in Scotland. How things have changed since she came to Canada and a phone call to the old country was the size of a mortgage payment. Now she talks by web cam and hears water running. She mentions it to her sister who says "Oh, it's me 'usband, he's 'avin a shower".

How times have changed.

No comments: