Thursday, March 06, 2008

Flannigen


After Sam and Sunshine passed away, Christine and I were both getting very lonesome without dogs. We were both living alone and one night we met up for Chinese food. All of a sudden, Christine pounded her fist on the table, shaking the water glasses and said "That's it!"

Amazed, I looked up from my sweet n' sour pork and said "What's it?"

"That's it! We've gone too long without dogs!"

It was time. We both knew it. She wanted a whippet and I wanted a whippet so where do you go? You go to the Whippet lady. I remembered where she lived although we hadn't been there for 5 years (which amazed Christine) and we took a drive out to see her.

Mrs. M. always had a lot of Whippets, but you have to go through an bonding time with your prospective dog before you take one home. We picked out Moses for Christine and a little girl named Willow for me. We went back a couple more times for more bonding and walking and cuddling.

Willow didn't like being away from her pack, she had been the leader and turned out to be the wrong choice for me. Moses however is perfect for Christine and continues to be the joy of her life.

A week later I called Mrs. M. and told her I was bringing Willow back so I did and then had to start all over again with another dog. This time she told me about Flannigen, Moses's brother. Flan loved me right from the start and I adored him. We bonded and Flan came home to live with me. Moses and Flan were so happy to be reunited and spent lots of time together hanging out in each other's back yards and running in the fields together.

Flannigen was truly a lovely dog. He had a wonderful disposition and people fell in love with him wherever we went. He had been a show dog so he cost me (cough, sputter) more but he was worth every penny.

When I met Chris she was quite taken with this crazy whippet boy of mine, I don't think she had ever really met a whippet before. She tried to "man him up" and dressed him in football jerseys. It didn't work. He was still a Mama's boy.

Flan loved to visit my mom and would always sit in her lap like that was nothing unusual. A long legged skinny dog sitting in a long legged skinny woman's lap.

Flan got very ill very quickly in 2004 so with lots of tears I had to say goodbye to him. He was a very special dog and I still miss him today. At first Moses would come over and go looking for his bro' and had a puzzled look on his face when he couldn't find him. It was sad to watch. Eventually that stopped. Then we got Maggie. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's cool to read your chronicles of your Whippets. Where did Whippets get the name Whippets? Flan looks pretty manly in the shirt. :-) That green grass Moses and Willow are on sure looks lovely. Can't wait for the green grass. v

barb said...

Uncle Barb sure misses her Flannigens...but not the "naughty bits" he always showed me, when I can over...LOL!