Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Jesus is Cool


I don't normally write too much about my Christian background although I enjoy reading other's journals about their Christian walk and journey. Somehow this blog has just taken on a life of the 'immediate' family and not my Christian family.
So...for a little background. I grew up in a Christian home, spent half my life in Church, went through some troublesome teenage years but ended right side up in a Baptist College in Hawaii after High School.
Years following were spent ministering in (mostly) Charasmatic/Pentecostal churches where it seemed I was there every time they opened the doors and lots of times it was me with the key.
However, since getting into Group Home shifts and working, working, working Sundays and more Sundays and then driving Handy DART on Sundays, it's very challenging to get to Church let alone actually belong somewhere.
So...in this modern age I get a lot of my Christian fellowship off the internet. I read people's stories, blogs, testimonies, web sites, and one thing that always comes home to me is that we as Christians don't treat each other very nice sometimes.
After being employed by numerous Christians I have to say that working for Christians is not all it's cracked up to be. I've been mistreated, taken for granted and hopelessly underpaid. I've gone without, had to wait for a pay cheque to clear (until after Sunday's offering) and worked long hours without any compensation and told "you'll get your reward in heaven".
Saying all that makes me sound a little cynical and yet I continue to serve God in my own way. I choose to live my life wanting to please Him, though I know I often fail.
Bill Gaither says it best..."love God and love each other". That's my goal. So there's my sermon for today.

2 comments:

Valerie Dykstra said...

Okay you've got to stop posting these cool pictures or I'll keep lifting them. You will definately find this picture on my site too. Meanwhile, it was nice hearing some of your history.

onedayatatime said...

Having worked with you for a "Christian" organization, I know the frustrations. It's almost better to work for non-Christians, that way when you are shafted, it doesn't hurt so bad. I pray that things with your foot will go more smoothly, and that you are able to get the therapy and proper care that you need:) Hang in there, my friend. P.S. I LOVE to picture/cartoon